18.12.08

On the Holidays

I am not coming home to Wisconsin for the holidays. Anybody who I tell this to seems shocked or confused.

Why on Earth would I not want to come home for Christmas?
Am I shielded some dark and deep secret?
Am I secret repressing my hatred of my family?

No, I am not. My family, like any other, has its fair share of problems. But they are not really the reason for my absence in Kenosha this holiday season. Instead, I intend to stay away because I spent the better part of three months this past summer with disappointed results, to say the least. I don't feel the need to repeat a particular unhappy that I have tried to get away from in going to another state to study for school. At least here in New Orleans I'll be able to get out rather easily and see the great line-up of movies coming to Canal Place Cinema. Since I don't drive and don't have a car, I'd basically be trapped inside for the better part of a month. I can't deal with that.

But I am also staying for one other very important reason: the weather! I mean, I have been living in New Orleans since August. Yes, it did snow once last week for a couple of hours. But with temperatures in the 70s today, it it is something like 55 degrees warmer than in Kenosha. I'll take that any day. I was just out walking the other day in flip-flops and still saw plenty of green, with butterflies around me. That sight is something you cannot beat in the middle of December.

But enough of this talk, I am off to read Marquis de Sade on a friend's recommendation. I am not really looking forward to it, I will admit. But at least there isn't a snowstorm coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment